The Center for Latin American Studies' Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-2022 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship Competition is now closed.
*NOTE: The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in constantly evolving travel restrictions and guidance. We therefore recommend any interested applicants to remain flexible in their plans, and that the possibility of attending programs abroad next summer and/or academic year will depend on developments (vaccines, treatments, etc.) in the coming months. FLAS applicants wishing to go abroad should keep an eye on the State Department and CDC travel restrictions and guidance for their particular countries of interest.*
Click here for a list of FLAS-eligible LCTL Summer Programs.
Please read below for specific information on the Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-2022 Competitions.
- Applications and supporting materials will be submitted online through Qualtrics.
- Before beginning an application, students should consult the relevant information sheet for specific information on eligibility requirements and application instructions for their particular competition:
- A PDF version of the application is available for preview and planning purposes only. Applicants must complete the application itself through Qualtrics.
- Before completing the online application form, students should have all the necessary information on hand and additional documents ready for uploading into the application. The online form should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time.
A complete application includes the following:
- The completed Online Application Form: https://go.osu.edu/clasflas2021-22
- An up‐to‐date OSU Advising Report of all courses taken and grades received, and Official Transcripts from any other previous non-OSU graduate work and undergraduate work (attached in your online application).
- A one‐page single‐spaced Statement of Intent (attached in your online application).
- A Resume or CV (two pages maximum; attached in your online application);
- A Budget Estimate section in your online application, with relevant supporting materials attached (if you are planning to complete part of your 2020-2021 academic year outside of Ohio State).
- Three Letters of Reference from faculty members familiar with your work, including language capability. Applicants fill out the Student Section of the FLAS Recommendation Form and provide it to their referees. Referees complete and submit via email to email@example.com by Monday, February 1, 2021 no later than 4:30 PM EST.
- Applicants must also separately submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to OSU's Office of Student Financial Aid by their priority deadline of Monday, February 1, 2021 in order to be considered for a FLAS Fellowship. The FAFSA can be accessed at http://sfa.osu.edu.
All application materials, including letters of references, must be received by Monday, February 1, 2021 and submitted via email. No materials can be received by mail or in-person.
CLAS will announce the results of the Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-2022 competitions for both undergraduate and graduate/professional students in mid-March 2021.