This teacher education opportunity aims to promote dialogic linguistic education through exchanges of theoretical and practical knowledge in the area of teaching and learning among participants: undergraduate and graduate students in Languages and Education, and teachers of basic education (K12) from diverse subject areas. It also encourages the mutual intellectual, professional and personal growth of the participants through the sharing of knowledge and pedagogical experiences that stimulate their interest in intercultural and interdisciplinary learning and positively impact their individual identities and teaching practices and, consequently, education as a whole. It will be sponsored by The Ohio State University Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) and the Federal University of Paraná Teachers across Borders (TaB-UFPR).
Meeting dates and times
- October 3, 2023 from 5:30 to 7 p.m (EST-Ohio) and 6:30 to 8 p.m (Curitiba/Paraná)
- November 7, 2023 from 5 to 6:30 (EST-Ohio) and 7 to 8:30 p.m (Curitiba/Paraná).
- December 5, 2023 from 5 to 6:30 (EST-Ohio) and 7 to 8:30 p.m (Curitiba/Paraná).
Modalities and costs
This is a hybrid teacher education opportunity (online large and small group meetings; teachers conduct activities in person with their own students). It will be offered in the following modalities, free of charge:
- As a sequence of three workshops: for participants who attend only the online meetings, receiving a statement from CLAS/OSU on their participation;
- As an outreach course at the Federal University of Paraná (Brazil): for participants who wish to have a 20 hour certificate from UFPR (in Portuguese, English or Spanish)
- As a Continuing Education course: for participants who wish to have a 20 hour CEU certificate; this modality will offer the option for 1-2 graduate credit hours from Ashland University (Ohio) for a fee, typically $180 per credit hour.
English teachers from Brazilian Basic Education who teach in public schools in Curitiba or in its metropolitan area, K-12 teachers from Ohio (especially Central Ohio) districts, undergraduate and graduate students from Languages or Education/Pedagogy departments at UFPR and The Ohio State University, researchers and teacher educators.
Language of instruction: English
In addition to the three synchronous meetings at the dates and times mentioned above, the workshop series will consist of:
- Small group interactions: participant designed communication totaling 4 hours for collaboration and preparation (synchronous or asynchronous) in pairs or small groups.
- Project development: local development and implementation of intercultural critical literacy school projects totaling 8 hours
- Project sharing and reflection: participant designed project sharing, peer feedback, and course reflection totaling 2 hours.