Resources about Latin America
World 101: The Americas
The Council on Foreign Relations provides open access video modules on various regions of the world.
LANIC: Latin American Network Information Center
University of Texas at Austin website. THE place to start to research any Latin America-related topic. (Lesson plans, too.)
Website of U.S. Dept. of Education National Resource Centers. Wide variety of information on world regions as well as state-of-the-art teaching materials.
Librarians' Internet Index
A publicly funded website featuring links to websites selected by a team of librarians. Search by country or topic.
LANIC: Newspapers and News
Excellent list of links to information on the press in Latin America, and to newspapers in each country of the region.
World Newspapers, Magazines, and News Sites in English
Links to print media in English.
BBC News: Americas
The BBC is an outstanding source of news about the Americas (Canada and U.S. included). Past news stories are archived and can be easily accessed. Important issues, past and present, are explored in articles, analysis, profiles, and timelines. There are also profiles of each country in the hemisphere (go to bottom of page).
Links to foreign embassy websites, veritable treasure troves of information. Usually bilingual.
The default source of basic information on any country in the world. Includes maps.
Resources for Teaching about Latin America
Teaching Colombia's Civil War: A Resource Guide
This annotated bibliography introduces sources available on Colombia’s Civil War and Peace Process in support of the 2017 Global Teacher Seminar. Sources marked with an asterisk * are accessible through The Ohio State University Libraries and our valued partner the Columbus Metropolitan Library.
Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
A nonprofit journalism organization focusing on under-reported topics, promoting high-quality international reporting and creating platforms that reach broad and diverse audiences. Includes articles, lesson plans, and multimedia.
Southern Poverty Law Center: Teaching Tolerance
This project of the Southern Poverty Law Center features a magazine, professional development, classroom activities, teaching kits, and more, all free to educators.
Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad
U.S. Dept. of Education program for K-12 teachers. Participants travel to the region to explore specific themes. The Latin American centers at U T Austin and U Pittsburgh, frequent facilitators, upload resulting teaching materials to their websites:
- University of Texas, Austin: Latin American Network Information Center.
- University of Pittsburgh: Center for Latin American Studies
TeachGlobalEd.net: Online Resources for Global Educators
Product of the ongoing collaboration of Ohio State's Social Studies and Global Education program with Ohio State's Area Studies Centers and Indiana University's Center for the Study of Global Change.
SPICE: Stanford Program on International and Cross-Cultural Education
Multidisciplinary curriculum materials on international themes. Top quality; purchase required for most.
Hemispheres: The International Outreach Consortium at the University of Texas at Austin
Curriculum units and online resources on a variety of international topics.
Resources available by age range, topic, curriculum area, location, and more.
Classroom resources, online professional development, and peer connections available.
International Education - Ohio Department of Education: Instructional Management System
Links to resources that include lesson plans, professional development, exchanges, etc., to help teachers prepare Ohio citizens to live, work, and participate in the global economy.
Designed to help educators integrate the Internet as a standard classroom resource, this site covers valuable online resources, including lesson plans for teaching social studies and foreign languages to all grade levels.
Gateway to Educational Materials (GEM)
Annotated directory of Internet lesson plans, curriculum units, and activities pertaining to K-12 subjects. Users can browse sites by subject or keyword, desired grade, or education level. You can also search by subject, keyword, title, and full text of the site description. From the U.S. Department of Education.
Américas Book Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature
The Américas Award is given yearly in recognition of U.S. works of fiction, poetry, folklore, or nonfiction published in the previous year in English or Spanish that authentically and engagingly portray Latin America, the Caribbean, or Latinos in the United States. Website includes list of previous winners.
FLTeach: Foreign Language Teaching Forum
E-mail listserv for language teachers. Many good links on Resources webpage.
U.S. Department of Education Title VI National Resource Centers (NRCs) for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Columbia University Institute of Latin American Studies
- Duke University Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- Florida International University Latin American & Caribbean Center
- Indiana University Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- New York University, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies at NYU
- Ohio State University, Center for Latin American Studies
- Stanford University, Center for Latin American Studies
- Tulane University Roger Thayer Stone Center for Latin American Studies
- University of Arizona Center for Latin American Studies
- University of California, Berkeley Center for Latin American Studies
- University of California, Los Angele International Institute
- University of Chicago Center for Latin American Studies
- University of Florida Center for Latin American Studies
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- University of Kansas, Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- University of New Mexico, Latin American & Iberian Institute
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Institute for the Study of the Americas
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Latin American Studies
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Latin American, Caribbean and Iberian Studies Program
- University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Vanderbilt University Center for Latin American Studies
- Yale University Council on Latin American and Iberian Studies
- Most association websites include resources for educators, including announcements of professional development opportunities.
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- social Studies-Preparing Students for College, Career and Civic Life.
- Ohio Council for the Social Studies
- Educating Ohio's Citizens for Tomorrow's World.
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (CSTFL)
- Ohio Foreign Language Association
- Every Ohio student will be proficient in a second language, which is essential to a world-class education.