The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) is now accepting applications for its Academic Year 2018-2019 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship Competitions. FLAS Fellowships assist meritorious undergraduate and graduate students interested in undergoing training in modern foreign languages and related area or international studies. The deadline for application submission is Thursday, February 1, 2018, 4:30 p.m. EST. Please read below for specific information on Academic Year 2018-2019 Competitions.
- Applications and supporting materials will be submitted online through Qualtrics.
- Before beginning an application, students should consult the relevant information sheet for specific information on eligibility requirements and application instructions for their particular competition:
- A PDF version of the application is available for preview and planning purposes only. Applicants must complete the application itself through Qualtrics.
- Before completing the online application form, students should have all the necessary information on hand and additional documents ready for uploading into the application. The online form should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time.
A complete application includes the following:
- The completed Online Application Form.
- An up‐to‐date OSU Advising Report of all courses taken and grades received, and Official Transcripts from any other previous non-OSU graduate work and undergraduate work (attached in your online application).
- A one‐page single‐spaced Statement of Intent (attached in your online application).
- A Resume or CV (two pages maximum; attached in your online application);
- A Budget Estimate section in your online application, with relevant supporting materials attached (if you are planning to complete part of your 2018-19 academic year outside of Ohio State).
- Three Letters of Reference from faculty members familiar with your work, including language capability. Applicants fill out the Student Section of the FLAS Recommendation Form and provide it to their referees. Referees complete and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, February 1, 2018.
- Applicants must also separately submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to OSU's Office of Student Financial Aid by their priority deadline of Thursday, February 1, 2018 in order to be considered for a FLAS Fellowship. The FAFSA can be accessed at http://sfa.osu.edu.
For Further Information
CLAS will hold numerous information sessions in November and December 2017. Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of the following sessions which will take place in Enarson Classroom Building, Room 100:
- Monday, November 20, 2017, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 7, 2017, 11:30 - 12:30 p.m.
Please RSVP to email@example.com with your name and the date of the session you plan to attend.
Announcement of Academic Year 2018-2019 Competition Results
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) will issue a 2018-2022 Request for Proposals for Title VI National Resource Center/Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship grants for which the Center for Latin American Studies is preparing to apply. ED's timeline is unknown at this point. If received, these funds would provide support for Academic Year 2018-2019 FLAS Fellowships. Due to the delay in announcing the Request for Proposals, we will not know the results of this competition in March 2018. Fellowship competition results will not be made until the results of the Title VI NRC/FLAS competition are announced. The awarding of these fellowships is dependent upon the receipt of Title VI funding from the U.S. Department of Education. CLAS staff will keep applicants updated. Graduate students in particular are encouraged to discuss this with their home program and graduate program coordinator.
Please contact Megan Hasting, CLAS assistant director, with any questions about the fellowship or application process, at firstname.lastname@example.org.