CLAS is pleased to announce the availability of faculty travel grants to support professional development, sponsored by Title VI National Resource Center funding. Please read the following guidelines below prior to submitting your application. In order to be awarded a Faculty Travel Grant, you must explain why your travel not only advances your career, but also how it benefits Latin American Studies at Ohio State.
How can I use grant funds?
- Travel expenses for professional development related to Latin America (both domestic and international travel permissible) for travel between January 1 - December 31, 2020.
- Reimbursable expenses include airfare/mileage, ground transportation and parking, meals (per diem or receipts), and lodging. We cannot pay conference registration fees.
- Applicants must be an affiliated CLAS faculty member (if you are not an affiliated faculty member and would like to be listed as such, please contact email@example.com)
- Applicants must be employed as a regular full or part-time faculty member with at least two continuous years of service with Ohio State
When should I submit my application?
Faculty Travel Grant Applications will be accepted until Friday, November 1, 2019. If you are traveling to an international destination, we must request approval from the U.S. Department of Education at least 45 days in advance of departure. We do not offer retroactive rewards and are unable to award any travel that occurs before the application review and award period.
How do I complete and submit my application?
- Review the CLAS Faculty Travel Grant guidelines below.
- Complete the CLAS Faculty Travel Grant application.
What are the application components?
- Application Form
- Proposal - A two-page document that demonstrates the benefits of travel to ALL of the following: the individual, the individual’s department/college, and the university as a whole. Applications that do not include these benefits will not be considered.
- Itemized Budget allocating how funds will be utilized. Applicants must also include relevant budget documentation that supports the budget request (airfare, lodging estimates, links to conference details, sample travel itinerary, estimates for other expenses). Applications that do not include budget details will not be considered.
- CV - no longer than three pages
Documentation to support budget requests can be combined into one file with your application or sent as separate attachments.
This is a competitive process and a selection committee will use a quantitative system to review all applications. Priority will be given to travel supporting indigenous language and/or culture studies as well as travel that supports publication. Grants are awarded based on available funds and the following:
- The applicant meets all eligibility requirements
- The travel opportunity occurs within the funding period (January 1 - December 31, 2020)
- The submitted application is complete and includes required proposal, budget information, and curriculum vitae
- The application proposal demonstrates benefits to ALL of the following: the individual, the individual’s department/college, and the university as a whole.
Please note: Applicants who have not previously received a grant are given priority consideration. Retroactive funding is not provided.
Do I need a T-Number?
If you have confirmed funding from another university source or department, please notify CLAS as soon as possible so that we may coordinate the submission of your travel and payment requests. If ours are the only university funds you will be applying to your travel, CLAS will be happy to submit the travel request for you.