Teacher Professional Development Opportunity Offered by the OSU Area Studies Centers
Priority Deadline: April 30, 2023, applications accepted until May 8 (or when filled)
View this year's flyer.
This 20-hour seminar also includes the following sessions:
- Orientation (May 8, 7:00PM EST, Online)
- Pedagogy and Regional Topic Sessions (July 17-21, 1:30-4:30PM EST, Online)
- Follow up session (Fall 2023, Online)
- Lead Instructor: Dr. Amanda Respess (The Ohio State University)
- Pedagogy Instructor: TBD (The Ohio State University)
- Center for African Studies
- Center for Latin American Studies
- Center for Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies
- East Asian Studies Center
- Middle East Studies Center
This online seminar will inform K-12 teachers about the UN’s Sustainability Goal: Prosperity, focusing on the movement of goods and people in the regions of Africa, East Asia, Eastern Europe/Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The seminar will start by giving participants a solid foundation in the relevant political, social, and historical theories in order to ground their understanding of the movement of goods and people. Then throughout the seminar, guest experts will present regional case studies to provide comparative perspectives of what are prominent issues in their region, including the silk road and migration.
Benefits: Teachers will receive a certificate of completion with 20 contact hours and 2 CEUs after completing all aspects (orientation, summer seminar and follow up), receive curriculum resources, and a $100 stipend for completing a lesson plan by August 15. The seminar is open to teachers, including pre-service teachers, and administrators and is free of charge.
The seminar is organized by the East Asian Studies Center Center (EASC), in partnership with the Center for African Studies (CAS), Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS), Center for Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies (CSEEES), and the Middle East Studies Center (MESC), with support from the U.S. Department of Education Title VI Grants.