CLAS Awards FLAS Fellowships for Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24
The Center for Latin American Studies is proud to announce the results of its Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship competition for Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24.
In Summer 2023, eight fellowships have been awarded for the intensive study of Haitian Creole, Portuguese, or Quechua at approved programs. In Academic Year 2023-24, two graduate and six undergraduate students have been awarded fellowships to support their study at Ohio State of Portuguese or Quechua language, as well as Latin American area studies. Together, this constitutes over $198,000 in funding from the U.S. Department of Education, as well as over $27,000 in matching funding from the Graduate School.
The Latin American fellow cohort is listed below, along with each student's major, language of study, and study site (in the case of summer fellows). See the full list of FLAS fellows for all regions here.
- Lauren Miranda, Dept. of Spanish & Portuguese: Intermediate Haitian Creole (virtual program)
- Julia Allwein, Comparative Studies: Intermediate Quechua (Lima, Peru)
- Mario Codispoti, Spanish & International Business: Intermediate Portuguese (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Anais Fernandez, Political Science & Spanish: Advanced Quechua (Lima, Peru)
- Amber Glendell McClendon, Comparative Studies: Intermediate Quechua (Cusco, Peru)
- Orianna McDavid, English: Advanced Portuguese (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Damaris Vanecko, Hospitality Management: Advanced Portuguese (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Mateo Zevallos, Biomedical Science: Intermediate Portuguese (São Paulo, Brazil)
Academic Year 2023-24
- Christine Fite, Public Affairs & Latin American Studies: Elementary Portuguese
- Thomas Jones, Latin American Studies: Elementary Portuguese
- Ryan Christensen, Spanish: Advanced Quechua
- Anais Fernandez, Political Science & Spanish: Advanced Quechua
- Elijah Fidder, Political Science & International Studies: Advanced Portuguese
- James Logan, Political Science: Advanced Portuguese
- Arón Olegnowicz, Political Science & Psychology: Advanced Portuguese
- Viana Rodrigues, Public Health: Advanced Portuguese
Congratulations to all our fellows!
Stay tuned for "Featured FLAS Fellow" bios celebrating each of these exceptional students in upcoming CLAS newsletters!
Applications for the next FLAS Fellowship competition will be accepted Nov. 1, 2023 through Feb. 1, 2024. This competition will be for Summer 2024 and Academic Year 2024-25. Information sessions for interested applicants will be held throughout the Fall 2023 semester. Contact CLAS Assistant Director Mark Hoff (email@example.com) with questions.