Professor | Management & Human Resources
724 Fisher Hall.
2100 Neil Ave.,
Areas of Expertise
- Global strategies
- Strategies of multinational firms
- Management of strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Controls and knowledge flows
- Institutional difference across national contexts
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison Graduate School of Business (1990)
- M.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison (1982)
- M.B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison (1982)
- B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison (1978)
Professor Makhija's research focuses on a number of issues relating to international strategy. This work has appeared in leading academic journals such as the Academy of Management Review, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of International Business Studies, and Advances in International Management. She has presented her research at top academic and professional meetings, conferences and universities around the world.
Her research examines the institutional features of national environments that affect the structure and strategy of firms, the nature of competition and the behavior of managers. She also studies the structure and evolution of global industries, and the international strategies and organization of multinational firms competing in these industries. Much of her work utilizes primary data on managers and firms from around the world, including Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia.