The Tinker Foundation’s Field Research Grants Program is designed to provide budding scholars with a first-hand experience of their region of study, regardless of academic discipline. The grants provide graduate students with funds for travel to and within Latin America to conduct pre-dissertation research. These awards allow students to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of language and culture, familiarize themselves with information sources relevant to their studies, conduct pilot studies and preliminary investigations, and develop contacts with scholars and institutions in their respective fields.
Eligibility & Guidelines
- Tinker grants fund travel and research costs of master’s and doctoral candidates pursuing international field research toward their theses or dissertations;
- Grants are awarded for brief periods of no more than four months of pre-dissertation research in Latin America (Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries);
- Awards are open to all students across all academic disciplines and graduate degree programs;
- Recipients must be graduate students at the master’s or early stages of doctoral level studies, including those pursuing professional degrees.
- Preliminary research projects receive first consideration. Repeat awards are discouraged by the foundation, so students should consult with their advisors as to when in their degree programs to apply.