The Center for Latin American Studies will begin accepting applications for its Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-2024 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship competitions on Tuesday, November 1, 2022. The application deadline is Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 4:30 p.m. EST.
If you are interested in a FLAS fellowship during these award periods, you can find the information session schedule here. Interested students are strongly encouraged to attend an information session before beginning their application.
Please read below for specific information on the Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-2024 Competitions.
- Applications and supporting materials will be submitted online through Qualtrics.
- Before beginning an application, students should consult the relevant information sheet for specific information on eligibility requirements and application instructions for their particular competition:
- A PDF version of the application is available for preview and planning purposes only. Applicants must complete the application itself through Qualtrics.
- Before completing the online application form, students should have all the necessary information on hand and additional documents ready for uploading into the application. The online form should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time.
A complete application includes the following:
- The completed Online Application Form: apply using button above (available starting Nov. 1, 2022).
- An up‐to‐date OSU Advising Report of all courses taken and grades received, and unofficial transcripts from any other previous non-OSU graduate work and undergraduate work (attached in your online application).
- A one‐page single‐spaced Statement of Intent (attached in your online application).
- A Resume or CV (two pages maximum; attached in your online application);
- A Budget Estimate section in your online application, with relevant supporting materials attached (if you are planning to complete either Summer 2023 or AY2023-2024 outside of Ohio State).
- Three Letters of Reference from faculty members familiar with your work, including language capability. Applicants fill out the Student Section of the FLAS Recommendation Form and provide it to their referees. Referees complete and submit via email to email@example.com by Wednesday, February 1, 2023 no later than 4:30 PM EST.
- Applicants must also separately submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to OSU's Office of Student Financial Aid by their priority deadline of Wednesday, February 1, 2023 in order to be considered for a FLAS Fellowship. The FAFSA can be accessed at http://sfa.osu.edu.
All application materials, including letters of references, must be submitted electronically by Wednesday, February 1, 2023. No materials can be received by mail or in-person.
Register to attend a FLAS info session via Zoom to learn more about the program, eligibility requirements, benefits, and how to prepare a strong application.
Click here for a list of FLAS-eligible LCTL Summer Programs offered in Summer 2023.
(Note: The US Department of Education does not pre-approve any FLAS program, and each student's plan of study requires individual approval from USEd. When programs are described as "FLAS-eligible" or "FLAS-approved," this simply indicates that they are established programs which students often study for their FLAS fellowships; however, this does not guarantee USEd approval every year or for all students.)
Announcement of competition results will take place by March 15, 2023.
Chosen applicants will be required to officially accept their fellowship awards by April 15, 2023.